My favorite thing about blogging is the people I am meeting along this journey. Living life beyond a head injury hasn’t been easy, but the people I have met along the way have been my silver lining to my accident. I am leaning on them as much as they are leaning on me and we are figuring it out together and it reminds me of one of my favorite phrases, “We may not have it all together, but together we have it all.”
A HUGE THANK YOU to Travis and the Brain for his nomination of me for the Liebster Award last weekend, it was such a nice surprise to see his email. Travis is a great resource for those experiencing a TBI and he’s been sharing his experience with Biofeedback, which doesn’t sound easy. He is maybe one year into his journey (Travis, did I remember correctly?) and he is taking it day by day. Travis, I am so sorry you are navigating life with a broken brain as well, but so grateful that our village includes one another!
First up, as a nominee, is introducing my favorite blog which at the moment is Erin over at Living in Yellow. I started following her at some point in the Spring of this year and her fashion tips have kept me up to date about current trends and the latest deals. She shops at a bunch of places but we share a love for Old Navy, Target and Nordstrom (Free shipping and returns? Yes, please!) and I generally LOVE what she shares. I am in no way a fashionista, but I love shopping and wearing clothes that don’t make me feel like a frumpy, old Mom, and Living in Yellow makes that happen. She’s adorable, loves wine, mac and cheese and the color yellow and will brighten your day.
Next up is answering the questions that Travis posted….so here they are:
- Why did you start your blog? I have been keeping a journal and day planner for the past nine years since my head injury. I’ve been writing down all my tips and tricks (& memories) and wanted a better space to track it all. “Remember this” became my keeper of memories and my space to share my secrets for living my life beyond my head injury.
- If you were dropped off on a remote island what would be the one item you’d bring? My initial response was toothpaste because I’m obsessed with keeping my teeth clean but that sounds so lame! Rethinking this maybe my phone or tablet so I could get in touch with someone to come and get me!
- What is your favorite book and why? Hmmm…The Alchemist by Paul Coelho may be it! I also love “Oh the Places You’ll Go” by Dr. Suess…it’s a mix of the Mom in me and the daughter in me. My mom gave me a copy when I graduated high school (I think? Maybe college?) and it brings me back to a time in my life where I had so many goals ahead of me…and when I read it with my kids it inspires me with so much hope.
- If you could have five people at your dinner table who would you pick? Oprah, Ellen, Obama, Mother Teresa (the question didn’t say they had to be living!) and….My husband, he’s my sidekick and always helps me dissect a conversation or experience after we have it- so I would need him to help me remember it all! I love experiencing things with him and he’d be equally impressed if he met all of these people too!
- Where is your favorite place to visit and why? The Caves in Negril, Jamaica. We went there for our honeymoon and whenever I feel like life is going to swallow me whole I meditate and picture myself in their serene atmosphere. It has a very earthy vibe (no TVs in your rooms) and is built along the side of a cliff. It’s a magical place.
- What is your favorite song and why? “For You” by John Denver. It’s my wedding song and reminds me of one of the best days of my life.
- What is your favorite movie and why? Growing up it used to be Drop Dead Fred, now I think it’s 50 First Dates…explains life with a head injury (to an extreme) perfectly.
- What do you like most about yourself? I’m approachable. Everywhere I go, people talk to me, and sometimes this has turned into them sharing a little TOO MUCH personal info for just meeting a stranger.
- What will be your number one goal for the coming year? To continue blogging and be an effective Mom. This is one goal because I am finding hard time juggling it all, but want it all 😀
- Do you prefer cats or dogs? I have a cat, Rehab, who we got after my accident to help me combat depression. I love him, but actually like dogs better!
Now to nominate Blogs for the Liebster Award. The five blogs I’d like to nominate, with less than 200 Followers are:
I specifically chose blogs that have their most recent posts focusing on disabilities because as person living a life beyond their disability, I am a firm believer in being my own biggest advocate. I am very passionate about sharing circumstances and there’s no better source than the person living it. So cheers to the above bloggers, and great job with your advocacy!
Here are some questions to answer for your nomination…
- Why did you start your blog?
- What is one of your biggest regrets?
- Do you have a career outside of blogging? If so, what is it?
- What do you want people to know about the disability that you blog about?
- Name one place you’d like to visit. Why haven’t you been there yet?
- What was the last book you read?
- What do you like most about yourself?
- Mac or PC?
- What is your favorite thing about blogging?
- Leggings or jeans?
Official rules for the Liebster award can be noted here. And again, thank you to Travis for his support!
Be well, spoonies and have a fabulous week!